Samstag, 12. Mai 2007

At the beginning Martin checked, if everybody has bought his books, where everybody will write the phrases and vocabularies and all interesting things, that we do in class, into it. Interesting fact is, that everybody got his/her books, including me, because I always have my Kollegblock with me, and at home I collect them in a map. Roland even though plans to buy 4 books, to write in one the vocabularies, in the other the grammar parts, into the third the phrases etc.

What we did today:

  • started a new chapter: Employment.
  • 1st exercise: (out of a list in English book) find the most important points for getting a job (like: experience, qualification, references etc.). My group chose experience, qualification, personality, appearance and references.
o Out of this topic we turned to the vocabulary "to rank". Meaning of to rank: "to order according the importance".

At the moment Martin wrote the meaning of to rank on the board, everybody took their books and wrote the vocabulary in it. I guess Roland has started then his vocabulary book today (by the
destiny, that a a vocabulary was discussed first), and now he has to buy another book for grammar
and phrases!
:-)
  • 2nd exercise: we joined in groups of two people and need to find out and discuss the best/worst job, the best/worst boss, the best/worst colleague etc..

  • Weekly Presentation:
Christian was the lucky person, who presented us the use of the word "should"; it was a
good presentation and very well prepared -- especially because Christian handed out a
Summarize of his presentation paper. The presentation was good – probably Christian
would say, that it was not so good – but I officially state here: It was good.


o I will definitely remember: "Ought to" can be used as should do and has also the same meaning; but "ought to" sounds more intellectual!
  • Thoughts to the topic speaking English:

    Many people always have a very low self-confidence at the English language. That is why, they are then shy at talking English, and some people also try to prevent to talk in English. I understand that point, if something feels not comfortable, than it is not easy to do exactly this not-liked thing. But I think it is good that we have English once a week during the Fachhochschule – two hours once a week is not very much (actually for getting more practise in Speaking far too less), but still it is good and important for us to get in touch again with the grammar and the vocabularies. At every test everybody has to learn a lot new vocabularies and help to extend the vocabulary knowledge. But to get comfortable with speaking English 2 lessons are to less, but to help to get more self-confident in speaking English those 2 hours/week are ok – especially if people have to do presentations and exercises.

o Then we turned to the vocabulary "metacognitive". An interesting and very good description (to me) of the word "meta-" is: think and talk about a process. So if I talk about how to speak a language, this is meta-language. So cognitive would be e.g. speaking in social situations, and metacognitive would then be: How do I get speaking practise (e.g. by reading or by writing or by speaking?)

  • As I wrote in my last reflection, I also had my presentation of the topic “countries, nationalities and language”. My feeling was that Martin expected a short presentation, with the main information, that words in combination with countries or nationalities always have capital letters at the beginning. But because the chapter in vocabulary in use covered more information, my presentation got longer. That is also the reason, why I did not feel comfortable in front of the class any more, then I also reduced the presentation content to finish earlier and summarizing, I am not satisfied with the presentation, because it was not so well. But in any case: This main information (capital letters) reached the class. But I also think, that I could put the usage of words with countries and nationalities a little bit across!
  • At the end the homework: p. 78 --> A,B,C

Keine Kommentare: